Clove tree is an evergreen tree that grows up to 12m in height having large leaves, flowers are pale hue in color initially then change to green & turn into bright red. Cloves are commercially harvested in India. Cloves are the unopened pink flower buds of evergreen clove tree, the buds are picked by hand when they are pink & dried until they turn brown in color. Cloves have very hard exterior, their flesh features an oily compound that is essential to their nutritional & flavor profile. It is often called as clove bud (Clavus) as it has shaft & head.
Clove oil can be extracted from bud by water distillation, containing the desired lower percentage of eugenol.
Clove oil has a warm, strong, spicy smell and the oil is colorless to pale yellow with a medium to watery viscosity.
The main chemical components of clove oil are eugenol, eugenol acetate, iso-eugenol and caryophyllene
It blends well with other essential oils such as basil, rosemary, rose, cinnamon, grapefruit, lemon, nutmeg etc.
- It can blend easily with other oils thus is popular in Aromatherapy.
- Due to its unique aroma it is used in perfumery industry.
- Due to its antiseptic properties & aroma it is used in soap manufacturing.
- It is rich flavoring agent.
- It aids in digestion.
- It is good massage oil.
- It is added in cosmetic creams & lotions.
- It is a component in bug repellent & insect repelling candles.
- It purifies blood.
- It controls blood sugar level, thus making it useful to patients of diabetes.
- Clove oil is used to treat cholera.
- It can treat premature ejaculation.
- It can boosts immune systems.
- It helps to provide relieve from nausea & vomiting.
- It is a good remedy for earaches.
- Clove oil can prevent infection of eyes like sty (inflammation on eyelash).
- It can provide relief from Headaches.
- It is an excellent stress reliever.
- It is used in cosmetic industries esp. in lotions & creams as it has lessoning effects on aging.
- Most prominent use of clove oil is in dental care, such as toothaches, sore gums, and dental pain.
- Diluted clove oil when gargled helps in easing throat pain & irritation.
- It can eliminate bad breath, it is effective against cavities.
- It is useful for wounds, cuts, scabies, & fungal infections.
- It is a major ingredient in toothpastes, mouthwashes & oral care.
- It should be diluted before application or ingestion.
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
- Use small amounts because it contains eugenol which could cause allergies.
- It can cause blood sugar to drop so diabetic patients should be cautious.
- Pregnant women& children should not use clove oil.
- It can cause intestinal discomfort in children & infants.