Chamomile belongs to family asteraceae and its botanical name is anthemis noblis and is reputed as medicinal plant. It is a low growing plant, root is perennial stems are freely branching leaves are divided into thread like segments which gives whole plant a feathery appearance. The fruit is small & dry. The whole plant is grayish green in color.
Oil is obtained by steam distillation of flowers of the chamomile palnt. There are two types of camomlie one is roman chamomile (Anthem nobilis) & another is german chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla). Both the varities differ in components.
Chamomile Oil is grey or very pale blue & its aroma is bright, sweet fruity & herbaceous.
The main chemical components of Chamomile oil are a-pinene, camphene, b-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, 1,8-cineole, y-terpinene, caryophyllene, and propyl angelate and butyl angelate. The main constituents of German chamomile oil are chamazulene, a-bisabolol, bisabolol oxide A, bisabolol oxide B and bisabolone oxide A.
It blends well with Bergamot, clary sage, lavender, jasmine, grapefruit, lemon, lime & ylang ylang oil.
- German chamomile oil is very powerful anti inflammatory agent due to presence of Azulene.
- It helps in inducing perspiration thus removing toxins.
- Chamomile oil relieves in fever by cooling down the body.
- If applied to hair it kills lice & mites.
- Owing to its antiseptic & antibiotic properties it eliminates infections.
- It also kills intestinal worms.
- It helps in overcoming of depression, sluggishness & disappointment.
- It helps in reducing blood pressure.
- They promote digestion by increasing secretion of HCL.
- They help in maintaining good health of liver.
- It helps in reducing swelling & edema.
- Chamomile oil helps to cure ailments like rheumatism& arthritis.
- It helps in diminishing the scars.
- It protects wounds or cuts from becoming infected.
- It reduces pain in muscles, joints, Headaches & tooth aches etc.
- They are good at expelling gas from intestines & stomach.
- They keep nerves & nervous system in a state of good health.
- They tone up skin & muscles.
- They help cure acne.
- They clean up urinary system by stimulating increased urination.
- They help in curing viral infections.
- It is added to massage oil for relief of muscle discomfort after exercise.
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
It should be avoided if someone has a direct allergy to chamomile.