It is a species of prunus armeniaca belongs to family rosaceae. The plant is native to continental climate region and can grow in mediterrian region. It is a small tree that grows up to height of 12m. Flowers are white to pink. Fruit is drupe similar to small peach, yellow to orange. The flesh is usually firm; taste can range from sweet to tart. Apricot seeds are used against tumors.
Botanical Name: Prunus armeniaca
Extraction Method: Cold Pressed
Apricot Kernel oil is obtained by cold pressing of dried kernels of apricot fruit. Seed cake is also used separately to extract essential oil.
It is light in color with a pleasant nutty odor.
Its chemical constituents are oleic, Palmitic, Linoleic, Linolenic, Stearic.
It blends well with flora citrus & all essential oils.
APRICOT KERNEL OIL BENEFITS AND USES
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
- It is a rich source of oleic acid & vitamin E , thus promotes healthy skin condition.
- It is ideal for sensitive skin as it prevents premature ageing.
- Apricot Kernel oil is used in creams, lotions, soaps, massage oils & balms.
- It is used in treatment for skin conditions such as scabies, itching etc.
- It is used as massage oil.
- It can help in treatment of earaches.
- It can treat respiratory problems like bronchitis.
- It is used in various cosmetic products like ointments, shampoos, & conditioner.
- It is used in salads & other foods.
- It helps in treating asthma.
- It helps rejuvenate dehydrate skin.
- It is an excellent moisturizer of face, hands & hair.
- It is used in cooking.
- It lowers LDL & promotes cardiovascular health.
- It has lipid content similar to skin, thus it soothes dry & damaged skin.
- It is used as carrier oil in Aromatherapy.
It should not be taken by mouth or intravenously as it contains toxic material amygladin which can convert into cyanide which as serious side effects.