The almond is a deciduous tree which grows up to height of 10m, leaves are green at first and when exposed to sunlight become purple & grey in second year. Flowers are white to pale pink. The fruit of almond is drupe, consisting of an outer shell with seed. Almonds are sold both shelled & unshelled. Almond grows best in mediterrian climates with warm dry summer and wet winters. Almonds begin as economic crop in third year after planting.
It is commonly called nut. In India it is called badam. Almond has its culinary uses and almond flour is used as gluten free alternative to wheat flour in cooking & baking. Almond is a rich source of vitamin E, Rich in dietary fiber, vitamin B, & essential minerals.
The seeds of prunus dulus var dulcis are sweet but some individual trees produce seeds that are bitter. Bitter almond is slightly broader & shorter than sweet almond.
Prunus amygdalusExtraction Method:
Cold PressedEXTRACTIONAlmond oil
is obtained by cold pressing of almond kernels or seeds.PROPERTIES
Almond oil is a clear pale yellow and has medium viscosity & has sweet & nutty aroma.COMPONENTS
Major fatty acids of almond oil were found to be about 68% oleic acid 25% linoleic acid 4% palmitic acid and a little of palmitoleic acid stearic acid. A trace of arachidic acid was also found.BLENDING
Almond oil blends well with other oils & penetrates the skin easily like calendula oil, wheat germ oil, borage, macadamia nut oils
- It is commonly used in Aromatherapy.
- It is used in soaps, creams & lotions.
- It can do wonders to skin, hair & general health.
- It is rich in vitamin E, A, & B which are great for skin & Health.
- It can improve complexion, sun tanning.
- It can be used as a moisturizer, softens skin, and soothes skin irritation& skin inflammation.
- It cures chapped lips & body rashes.
- It helps in removing dark circles if applied daily.
- It can give natural big flirty eyelashes if applied daily in eye lashes.
- It prevents sign of ageing, wrinkles & fine lines by renewing skin cells.
- It removes impurities & Dead skin cells.
- Due to its rich zinc properties it heals the skin
- It acts as an ideal make up remover.
- Almond oil is rich in magnesium & reduces hair fall, split ends when applied.
- Almond oil has high moisturizing properties which makes dull hair shine.
- It also cures dandruff & reduces scalp inflammation.
- It is beneficial for cardiac health.
- It regulates Blood pressure & maintains cholesterol levels.
- It boosts immunity & also aids digestion.
- It boosts memory & strengthen nervous system.
- It increases blood circulation & helps in development of bone system in baby.
- It has analgesic properties so helps in relieving pain & stress from strained muscles.
- It promotes healthy & strong nails.
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
- Pregnant & breast feeding women should avoid taking almond oil.
- It may lower blood sugar level so if you have diabetes avoid using almond oil.