Myrtus commonly known as myrtle belongs to genus flowering plant; the plant is evergreen shrub which grows up to 16ft and contains fragrant essential oil. It has star like flowers which is pollinated by insects. Fruit is round berry containing several seeds. It has 2 known species one is myrtus communis also called as common myrtle and another is myrtus nivelli also called as Saharan myrtle.
Myrtle oil is obtained from flowers , leaves, amd stem of myrtle plant (myrtus communis) by process of steam distillation.
Myrtle oil aroma is elevating the oil is a pale yellow to orange liquid with a clear fresh camphoracious sweet herbal scent.
Its main constituents are myrtenal, myrtenal acetate, limonene lenaloal, pinene, cineol, p-cymene, geronial, neral phenylpropaniad, methyleugenol.
It blends well with lot of essential oils such as neroli, ylangylang oil, frankincense oil, black pepper oil, cedar oil citronella oil and many others.
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
- It act as antiseptic, astringent, deodorant, expectorant, & sedative.
- Myrtle oil is used in mouthwash as it contracts gums & strengthens teeth.
- If ingested it strengthens intestinal tracts.
- It contracts & tightens the skin & diminishes wrinkles.
- The oil is used as a deodorant in incense sticks & burners and can be used as a body deodorant or perfume.
- It is antimicrobial and act against sepsis & tetanus.
- It also clears congestion & provides relief in cough.
- the oil is beneficial to maintain stability of nerves.
- It helps in relieving tension, stress, anger & depression.
- It also works very well to alleviate problems like impotency & loss of libido etc
- It helps in cure infections in stomach & intestines.
- It is used against acne & pimples etc.
It is non toxic and can be used safely for children and elderly.Eye Contact:
If oil comes in contact with eye, wash eye with plenty of water till 15 minutes, remove contact lances. If serious condition then call doctor immediately it may be dangerous.Skin Contact:
Remove contaminated clothes and footwear if oil comes in contact with skin, wash thoroughly with fresh water at least 15 minutes. Contact a doctor immediately if irritations persist.
If oil is inhaled. Take the person to well ventilated area.
It should be stored in well packed container in well ventilated & cool dry place.