Cinnamon is a spice obtained from inner bark of tree of genus cinnamomum. Cinnamon is cultivated by growing the tree for two years, and then cutting stems at ground level, next year about a dozen new shoots will form from the roots, replacing those that were cut. The stems must be processed immediately after harvesting while inner bark is still wet. Flavor of cinnamon is due to an aromatic essential oil. Cinnamon bark is widely used as spice; it is used as a condiment & flavoring agent. Cinnamon is popular flavoring in alcoholic beverages.
Cinnamon is prepared by roughly pounding the bark, breaking in sea water & quickly distilling the whole.
It is Golden yellow in color with characteristic odor of cinnamon & very hot aromatic taste.
It blends well with lemon essential oil, rosemary oil, geranium & cardamom etc.
22 HEALTH AND PHARMA USES
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
- It is most popular herb for flavoring & medicinal uses.
- It boosts activity of the brain.
- It is great for treatment of pimples because it is a good blood purifier.
- It can improve blood circulation as it has a compound which helps in thinning of blood.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties thus it helps in removing stiffness of muscles & joints.
- It helps in removing headaches that are caused by cold.
- It can help in controlling blood sugar.
- It can treat internal as well as external infection.
- It helps in destroying germs in the gall bladder & bacteria present in staph infections.
- It acts as coagulant & helps to stop excess bleeding.
- It can prevent coronary heart disease & high BP.
- It reduces risk of colon cancer.
- It is used in chewing gum as it is a good mouth freshener.
- It helps in cold, sore throat & congestion.
- It provides Relief from menstrual discomfort & cramping.
- It helps in natural birth control.
- It aids in secretion of healthy breast milk.
- It helps in the secretion & discharge of urine.
- It has various applications in Aromatherapy.
- It is used as room freshener.
- It is a great mosquito repellent.
- It is natural antibacterial agent.
It should be avoided for internal consumption.
It can have adverse effect on skin if used in concentrated form.
It should be diluted before applying topically and one should do a patch test before applying.