It is common species of Origanum (mint family) also called as joy of mountains. It is planted in hot, relatively dry climate, but can tolerate other climates too and bears tiny leaves. Oregano is a perennial herb which grows up to 2ft. Its flowers are pink or purple in color, which are edible. It can tolerate a variety of soils but they must be well drained.
Synonyms: Thymus capitatus, Oreganum Vulgare, Oil of Oregano, Wild Marjoram, Zaatar.
Botanical Name: Oreganum vulgare oil
Part Used: Flowering Herb
Color: Pale yellow in color
Viscosity: Medium to watery in viscosity
Perfumery Note: Acrid Odor/ Spicy Camphor like
Shelf Life: Three Years.
Refractive Density: 1.501-1.518
Optical Rotation: -4ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â° to +8ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â°
Oregano essential oil is obtained by steam distillation of origanum herb.
It has antioxidant and purifying abilities & has a sharp & herbaceous aroma and it is green in color.
Its main components are carvacrol, thymol, p-cymene, cis-ocimene, caryophyllene and linalool
- It is used in flavoring food and is often used in processing industries for canned foods.
- It is used in lotions & soaps.
- It is used in perfumery industries.
- It contains strong immune enhancing & antioxidant properties.
- It supports respiratory system.
- It is also used as an insect repellent.
- It is also used as a culinary spice & food preservative.
- It helps in digestion.It has anti-fungal & antiviral properties.
- It is a natural insect repellent.
- Oregano oil is taken from mouth for intestinal parasites, allergies, sinus pain & arthritis.
SAFETY & PRECAUTION
- Only therapeutic grade oil should be used for healing.
- It can cause skin irritation so dilute oil before applying topically.
- It should not be given as a dietary supplement for children below 6yrs
- If pregnant or nursing take advice from doctor before using.
If oil comes in contact with eye, wash eye with plenty of water till 15 minutes, remove contact lances. If serious condition then call doctor immediately it may be dangerous.Skin Contact:
Remove contaminated clothes and footwear if oil comes in contact with skin, Wash thoroughly with fresh water at least 15 minutes. Contact a doctor immediately
if irritations persist.Inhalation:
If oil is inhaled in high conc. Take the person to well ventilated area.
It should be stored in well packed container in well ventilated & cool dry place.