Nutmeg is also known as pala in Indonesia. Nutmeg is the seed of the tree. These trees are dioecious plants which grows up to 70 ft in height. The tree reach its full production after 20 Years. Nutmeg is the only tropical fruit that is source of two different spices one is mace and another is nutmeg. Nutmeg is the seed & mace is its outer red covering also called as aril.
In India nutmeg
is used in many sweet & savory dishes. The essential oil of nutmeg is widely used in perfumery & pharmaceutical industries. After extraction of essential oil the remaining seed is called spent. Nutmeg butter is obtained from nit by expression. It is semi solid, reddish brown in color
& tastes & smells of nutmeg.EXTRACTION
It is obtained by steam distillation of ground nutmeg.PROPERTIES
Oil is colorless or light yellow and smells 7 tastes of nutmeg.COMPONENTS
It consists of a-pinene camphene, b-pinene, linalool, myristicin, phellandrene, limonene, etc.BLENDING
It blends well with thyme oil, rosemary oil, Lavender oil, orange, Clarysage , ylang ylang oil.USES
- It acts as a natural food flavoring in baked goods, beverages, syrups & sweet etc.
- Owing to its sedative properties it is very useful for treating muscular & joint pains.
- Owing to its anti-inflammatory properties it is very useful for treating arthritis, it reduces swelling of joints.
- It is useful for regulating the menstrual irregulations & problems associated with it like mood swings, depression etc.
- It increases blood circulation.
- It is a good remedy for anxiety & depression.
- It also enhances concentration.
- It is good tonic for Heart.
- It removes toxin from lever.
- It helps in dissolving kidney stones.
- It is used in various incense sticks due to its woody fragrance.
- It is used in manufacturing of soaps.
- It is used in bathing because of its refreshing nature.
- Owing to its antibacterial & antiseptic properties it is used in cosmetics.
- It is ingredient in making shaving lotions & creams.
- It is used as a room freshener.
- It is used in flavoring of tobacco.
- It is used in making toothpastes.
- It can treat nervous & digestive problems.
- It is major ingredient in cough syrups.
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
Large dosage may become toxic with symptoms such as nausea.
Not to be used during pregnancy.