Synonyms: Spearmint oil, Cruled mint, Garden mint, Mentha spicata.
Botanical Name: Mentha spicata.
Part Used: Leaves & Flowers..
Color: Clear colorless to pale yellow or greenish yellow
Viscosity: Watery viscosity
Perfumery Note: Odor of Spearmint
Shelf Life: Two years
Refractive Density: 1.484-1.491
Optical Rotation: -45Ã° to -62‚Â°
Spearmint oil is extracted by the mode of steam distillation from flowering top.
Romans cultivated Spearmint and Introduced to the English. Now it is native to Europe and Iceland.
Romans used the shoots of the plant for freshening the air and mixing the juice of the plant in the water to take bath for keeping the foul smell away.
It is a perennial herb of about 2-3 feet in height
and has light green oval shaped, sharply leaves and pink colored flowers.
Spearmint plant grows well on slightly sandy and wet soils.
It grows well in temperate climate. It is a very common household plant, grows well in pots or it is planted by its spreading rhizome.
They can be preserved in salt sugar syrup, alcohol or oils.USES:Pharma Uses
- Spearmint oil has healing properties.
- It acts as a great remedy in digestive complaints like Vomiting, Diarrhea, Constipation, Flatulence, Irritable bowel syndrome.
- It wonderful fragrance can stimulate the brain and increase the alertness.
- Spearmint oil also helps in inflammation.
- Spearmint oil is a wonderful antiseptic against wound and ulcer.
- Spearmint oil is a better treatment against gastric problem in stomach and intestine.
Food & Flavoring Uses
- In food and beverages spearmint oil used as a flavoring agent.
- Spearmint oil is used as a flavouring agent in confectionary due to the presence of Menthol.
- Spearmint is an ingredient in several mixed drinks like Mojito and mint Julep, Sweet tea, iced and flavored with spearmint is a summer tradition in US.
- Skin problem such as acne can be easily treated with this oil so it is used in cosmetics.
- Spearmint oil is used in toothpaste, mouthwash and packed food items.
- Due to the presence of Menthol spearmint oil is an effective insecticide and keeps away mosquitoes, ants, moth & fly and it is used in mosquito repellent cream.
Spearmint Oil contains Alpha Pinene, Beta Pinene, Carvone, Cineole, Beta Caryophyllene, Linalool, Limonene, Menthol and Myrcene.CONCOCTION:
Spearmint oil blends well with Basil, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Rosemary and Jasmine oil.SAFETY MEASURE:Eye Contact
In case of eye contact, flush eyes with plenty of water, remove contact lenses or other eye aids
. Call for medical help if required.Skin Contact
Wash the body part with water and soap.INHALATION:
If inhaled, move to well ventilated area and inhale fresh air aggressively
Wash and rinse your mouth drink lots of water, do NOT induce vomiting unless directed to do so by medical personnel. Remove tight cloths move to ventilated area and inhale fresh air. Get medical attention if feel any discomfort.STORAGE & HANDELING:
Do not ingest directly. Avoid direct contact with eyes. Wear suitable protective clothing. If ingested, drink lots of water and seek medical advice. Keep away from incompatibles such as oxidizing agents.Keep containe
Absorbed through skin, slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation.
May cause respiratory tract irritation & gastrointestinal tract irritation.