Indian corn also known as Maize is cold intolerant and therefore is planted in spring, it grows up to 2.5m, stem has the appearance of bamboo cane, leaf grows from each node, which is 3.5 inches wide and 120 cm in length. It has shallow roots and is susceptible to droughts; it is intolerant of nutrient deficient soils& proves to be uprooted by severe winds.
It is obtained by expeller pressing of the corn germs & corn refine oil is obtained by alkali treatment and then winterization & Deodorization by steam distillation.
- Corn oil contains more essential ingredients than regular seeds.
- It has a high content in essential fatty acids (56%), vitamin E, Phytosterols. Essential fatty acids are not synthesized in human body so it has to absorbed from food only, so corn oil is best way to intake essential fatty acids.
- Vitamin E is important for protection of cell membranes.
- It has major antioxidants.
- It is high in phytosterol contents which lowers blood cholesterol.
- It is used as general cooking oil
- It is used in snack food industries.
- It is also used in treatment of skin burns.
- It is used as ingredients in cosmetics & Baby oil.
- It is used in Hair care because it contains high percentage of omega which prevents hair dryness & loss, Promotes growth of Hair.
- It is used in biodiesel industry.
- It is one of the ingredients in insecticides.
- Carrier for medicines
- It is used to clear wooden floors of any spot.
Corn oil contains monosaturated, polysaturated and saturated fats.
It can carry essential oils. It has a mild nutty flavor; it should go well with essential oil of nuts.PROPERTIES
It is Dark in color, but refined one turns pale yellow in color. Unrefined oil is nutty in taste & Aroma, but refined one loses its taste & aroma.SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
- Corn oil is in toxic, but refined corn oil is highly processed, it can cause a range of ill health consequences.
- It can cause vascular disease because it is highly polyunsaturated.Corn oil is sensitive to light, and is combustible.
- It is slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant) eye contact, ingestion, & inhalation.
Flush eyes with plenty of waterSkin contact:
wash with soap & WaterInhalation
: move to fresh airIngestion
: Do not induce vomitingPrecautions
: Keep away from heat & oxidizing agents.Storage
: keep container tightly closed, in a cool well ventilated areas.