Acorus calamus also called sweet flag or calamus is a tall perennial wetland monocot. It grows up to 2 m. The rootstalk is horizontal and leaves are yellow green, fruit are greenish berries. Scented leaves and rhizomes have been used medicinally & to make fragrances.
Dried rhizome has been used as substitute for ginger, cinnamon & nutmeg. Other names are beewort, bitter pepper root calamus root, myrtle glass, etc. A Calamus has been item of trade has been used medicinally for wide varieties of ailments & because of its aroma it is valued in perfumery industry. Essence from rhizome is used as a flavor for pipe tobacco. The plant is sometimes used as a pond plant in Horticulture. It is ice repellent mainly drought tender. It grows best in watery, marshy places.
Acorus calamusPlant Part:
: IndiaEXTRACTION PROCESS:
It is obtained by steam distillation of fresh & dried roots of calamus plants.PROPERTIES
Calamus oil has a warm, spicy odor, reminiscent of a sweet forest.COMPONENTS
The main chemical components are acorenone, b-gurjunene, isoshyobunine, b-asarone, calamendiol, a-selinene, a-calacorene, calamusenone, camphone and shyobunone.
BLENDING WELL WITH:
It blends well with tea tree cedarwood, cinnamon, clary sage, lavender, marjoram, oregano, & ylang ylang oil.19 USES AND BENEFITS:
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
- They are arousing, nervine, antispasmodic agent & tonic to mind.
- It is used as blended anointment oil & in fragrances & incense.
- It is an anti-inflammatory drug
- It is a fragrant stimulant drug & tonic for feverishness, anxious complaints, dizziness headaches, dysentery etc.
- Oil is applied topically on stomach as it pacifies alimentary canal.
- It is stimulating for the nerves & blood circulation.
- It relaxes in all sorts of spasms.
- Due to its toxic nature it acts as an antibiotic & fight infections both internally & externally.
- It has refreshing effect on brain
- It increases blood circulation. It has a memory boosting effects
- This oil is nervine & helps to maintain ideal health of nervous system.
- It is stimulating for nervous system & brain.
- A low dose of this oil can induce sleep & work as an effective tranqulizer.
- It treats neuralgia.
- Due to its transquilizing effect on brain & nerves it reduces feeling of pain.
- It is used as a sedative for headaches & vertigo.
- It is used to treat digestive problems
- It also stimulates the uterus leading to regular menstrual cycles.
- The effects of few drops of calamus oil in warm bath can help reduce fatigue & exhaustion.
It contains a compound called asorone which is toxic and is carcinogenic.
It has narcotic effects if taken in higher doses.
Pregnant women should avoid its use.