It is perennial evergreen plant and is usually dioeciously with separate male & female plants .It is a member of Cyprus family cupressaceous and its scientific name is juniperus oxycedrus. Cade oil is also known juniper tar oil; prickly/red berry juniper/darchini/taqqua oil. It has a tiny narrow needle like leaves which survives well during drought. Male plant bears flowers which turn into cones which are yellow & round which later on convert into fruits that grow in clusters as red berries and ripen in 2 years.
It grows up to height of 10m, with short stems, erect, grayish brown bark. It grows in mediterrian areas from sea level up to 100 mts. high and on calcareous soil. In most cases it does not reaches height the size of tree. Mainly essential oil is obtained in Gabuli & young shoots, leaves & wood.
Juniper tar also called as Cade oil is obtained by steam distillation of branches & wood of this plant.
It is thick fluid, dark in color with smoky aroma.
Its main components are guaicac, pinene, & p-cresol.
Cade oil blends well with cedarwood, origanum, rosemary, clove and thyme.
- It is used internally to eliminate intestinal worms& urinary tract infections.
- It fights skin problems like eczema, psoriasis & dermatitis.
- It is a good remedy for hair problems like dandruff or lice.
- This oil is used to strengthen nails & beaks of birds of prey.
- Cade oil is an ingredient in skin creams & ointments & antidandruff shampoos.
- It has antiseptic, analgesic, antimicrobial, antiprunitic, disinfectant, antiparasitic, vermifuge& vulneary properties.
- It combats fungal growth & infections.
- Treatment of pain, joint aches, leprosy, toothaches, snake bites etc.
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS
In Case of: Skin contact:
- It is very irritating so should be used for external applications.
- It should be diluted before applying on skin.
- People with sensitive skin should avoid use of Cade oil.
- Treatments with Cade oil should not continue for more than four weeks, because on large accumulation it can cause cancerous tumors.
- Active ingredients of this oil are absorbed through skin may lead to kidney problems.
- Cade oil should not be used on broken or inflamed skin.
Wash effected area with plenty of water.Eye contact
: Rinse immediately with plenty of water for at least 5 minutes.