Lemongrass scientifically known as cymbogon. It grows well in warm temperate region. It is a tall Perennial grass spreads very fast like any other grass and is valuable commercially. It grows up to 2 m & have magneta colored base stems. It is also known as barbed wire grass, silky heads etc., and in Marathi also called as gavati chaha. It is indigenous to India, South East Asia & Oceania. There are over 50 species known, most common of them is cymbogoncitratus, & flexosus. In India it is most commonly called choomsn poolu.
It is obtained by method of steam distillation of dried Lemongrass.
Synonyms: Lemongrass oil, British Indian Lemongrass, Cymbopogon flexuosus, Cymbopogon citrates.
Botanical Name: Cymbopogon flexuosus, Cymbopogon citrates
Part Used: Grass
Color: Light yellow to pale yellow
Viscosity: Watery viscosity
Perfumery Note: Fresh grassy Lemon type
Shelf Life: Two years
Refractive Density: 1.481-1.494
Optical Rotation: -3ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â° to +4ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â°
It is generally used in Asian cuisine, and has medicinal & therapeutic uses.
- It has an antiseptic, analgesic, antidepressant, antimicrobial, antipyretic, analgesic, bactericidal, carminative, sedative, tonic fungicidal & nerviness properties.
- Due to its antioxidant properties it helps in lever & pancreatic health, it is calming in nervous & other stress related issues and it helps in reducing high fever due to its antipyretic properties.
- Lemongrass Oil supports a healthy circulatory system. It helps to cure cellulite, fungal infections & digestive problems.
Safety & Precautions:
- Due to presence of Vitamin A in Lemongrass oil it is extremely helpful for skin issues such as acne & pimples. It also helps in brightening skin & Eyes and is also helpful in skin infections.
- It is also used in cosmetics and perfumery because of its lemon odor.
It is safe for use but can cause extreme irritation, therefore dilution is recommended. It should not be given to infants and children below 18 yrs.COMPONENTS
It is constituted of mycrene, citronella, geranyl acetate, nerol, geraniol, neral, limonene & citral. Main chemical component is citral.
It smells like lemon but is sweeter and milder than lemon. It is antioxidant, stimulating & purifying.