Geranium also called as pandemonium graveness is a flowering annual, biennial or perennial plant, it has cleft leaves, and flowers have five petals & are colored white, pink, purple or blue. Geraniums will grow in any soil as long it is waterlogged. The fruit capsule consists of five cells, each containing one seed. Plants grow 6 inches to 4 ft tall. Geranium is also called as poor man Rose.
Oil is obtained by steam distillation of steams & leaves of geranium plant. Oil is when distilled from young, green leaves it appears with lemon scent and if is obtained from older leaves oil has strong rose fragrance.
The essential oil is composed of various chemical constituents and includes a-pinene, myrcene, limonene, menthone, linalool, geranyl acetate, citronellol, geraniol and geranyl butyrate.
It blends well with angelica, bergamot, basil, carrot seed, citronella, lavender, grape fruit & rosemary oil.
SAFETY & PRECAUTIONS:
- Owing to its astringent properties it induces contractions in various parts of body.
- It tightens facial skin, thus delaying premature ageing.
- It can be added to baked goods, alcoholic & non alcoholic beverages.
- Topical application can cause help heal insect bites & stop itching.
- It is used as massage oil.
- It reduces pain & inflammation.
- It also acts as a natural insect repellant.
- It prevents muscles & skin from sagging.
- It keeps wounds safe from developing infections.
- It speeds up healing process of wounds, cuts etc.
- It helps to diminish scars & other spots.
- It increases blood circulation.
- It promotes uniform distribution of melanin.
- It promotes cell health.
- It increases urination thus removing toxins from body. Geranium oil is circulatory oil it exits the body during perspiration thus acting as great deodorant.
- It tones up overall health.
- It can help in getting rid of intestinal worms.
- It can treat acne, dermatitis & other skin diseases.
- It serves as antidepressant.
- It has positive effect on eczema. Neuralgia burns post menopause syndrome.
- It is used in fragrance & cosmetics.
It should not be used by pregnant women and those who are breast feeding.